Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Mexi-snacks galore


This is a pretty typical Mexican shot. Since we live in an agricultural community, we are fairly dependent upon the seasons for most of our fruits and vegetables. I know this is pretty much the case wherever one may go, but it seems much more, oh, I don't know, in your face here. Maybe it has something to do with the ragged boys wandering the streets trying to sell strawberries from a five gallon bucket in the summer. Cucumbers in the spring. Corn in the fall. I wonder to myself: 'Are they stolen? Are they gleaned?' I will never know.

This good man here is selling olives. They are quite tasty. What you do is this: you purchase a bag of olives (non-pitted), and he will undo the bag, dump most of the water, add hot sauce (called chili. The people here have no interest in our soup-like concoctions of the same name) and leave you to taste, savor and enjoy the slightly bitter, oh-so-greeny taste of these olives. Its one of my favorite treats.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Was this before or after that guy got attacked???