Tuesday, September 16, 2008

The first in a long line of many


It seemed apropos that, on this the day of my third Mexi-anniversary, I start something new. As you can see, that something new is this. My blog. Never in all my days as a human did I dream of having one of these things. It seemed pointless. Maybe, actually, it is. However, I when it comes to 'keeping in touch', I am a miserable failure, as all of my neglected friends back in the States will attest. This is my solution. I plan to show you lots and a plethora of lots of photos of my life down here.

Starting now.

Today is September 16th. Here in Mexico, we celebrate the famous speech given by Miguel Hidalgo (NOT the horse), 'Grito de Dolores', which incited the Mexican war for independence against Spain. How do we celebrate, do you ask? We line up on the side of the road and watch the schools parade down the street to the Centro, where we all run around and try to smash eggs full of flour on each other's heads.

November 20th is another important date, being the end of the war for independence against Spain. This picture is actually from that parade last year. This is the big parade, when costumes and floats and flags come out in abundance. These two boys are dear little insurrectionists against the man, with their plastic guns and little foil bullets. The mustaches, I think, are real.

Viva Mexico!

1 comment:

raych said...

Eggs full of flour? Oh Mexico, you are so much more fun than your northern counterparts (especially the albino one FAR north).