Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Synopses

There is only one way that I can think of to inform the world of my doings faithfully. And here it is: a long, mind-numbing, brain melting post. Read at your own risk.

I have a friend, a fellow missionary down here, who blogs faithfully, and who sums up her multitude of experiences in a weekly post that, even though I either witness them, or hear the stories directly from her mouth, I still enjoy reading. So, go Jen.

So many things happen that I would love to tell the world, but I forget to remember to post them. Also, sometimes I talk to much, and most times I write too much. When I have a captive audience (in this case, my computer... and you), I find it difficult to turn my literary genius off. So, captive audience, welcome to my gong show.

1. I've lived with my friend Kim for the past year, and she has been really great. I drew the short straw in the way of bedrooms, so I have been sharing a room with her this whole time. Actually, let me clarify that. I do a whole lot of house sitting. Missionaries travel, and houses down here get robbed. I am the solution to this problem. That is, I and my other singlette friends with no place to call their own.
Anyway, Kim has been inspired to finish the loft which will give me my long awaited bedroom. This has become a road paved with good intentions, and opportunities to exercise godly behavior patterns. Because, you see, there has not been one full day of work put into said loft. A five day job has stretched into four weeks. Such is the way of Mexico, sometimes. This is the land where everything shuts down when it rains. And with good reason. The mud here is killer. And slimy.
2. V-day has passed. Another singlette here has called that the 'black holiday', and with good reason. Though I must say, we do not get attacked with it here as much as we do in the States. I think, in general, we are less exposed to the media and to the pressure to be beautiful and to feel bad if we're not. Also, my roommate Danielle was inspired to have a singlette's 'love cakes' brunch. Love cakes, for those of you who don't know, are chocolate eclair pancakes, which are delicious and guarenteed to send you into a sugar coma. After brunch, we watched 1900 (good movie) and Ella Enchanted (bad movie, but one that I find myself inclined to watch again. Why is this?). Then we talked into the evening, as only girls can do. So, V-day was not a black holiday. It was just a holiday, with pancakes. I got a rose, too.
3. I'm writing this whilst I am subbing for my friend Johanne, who manages to run a household of 25 people, a ministry in the Triqui village, and teach a sixth grade class, all at once. Amazing woman. Also, it's a good thing that I know these kids and they like me and are a little scared of me. Because I have no idea what I am doing.
4. I've spent the past three weeks helping out at the Manzanos (matriarch mentioned above. See note 3) while Johanne was in Nevada helping out her daughter in law and taking care of her newest grandbaby. I had forgotten how exhausting it can be, managing that many children. But I had also forgotten just how much I loved being a part of that family. Now I remember, and I am going to spend a whole lot more time over there. Also, after being on my own for so long, and here in Mexico (though I do have family down here), its still nice to feel like an elemental part of a family whenever I want.
5. Are you tired of reading yet? I'm not done writing. I don't know how much I have ahead of me, but you might want to stop and take a deep breath before you continue.
6. I have been attending the local Calvary Chapel for the past year with some of the other young adults. Our IDT service is on Sunday nights, and I dreaded the idea of giving up my Sunday mornings for yet another church service, but I have really loved going. Also, I feel like it has drawn us young adults together a little more. The CC is taught in English, and translated into Spanish, and I have picked up quite a bit of Spanish from this method. Lately, though, we have begun alternating weeks with another church in town, La Mision, or La Puerta Abierta. I have never gotten a clear answer as to which name it is. La Mision is a big Mexican church attached to the big orphanage here in town. Their worship is boisterous and jolly, and they have guest speakers almost every Sunday. This service is all in Spanish, and some of the speakers are almost impossible to understand. This one feels more connected to the heartbeat of the Mexican community, while the CC is almost entirely Triqui indians. So each church provides differrent opportunities to build relationships.
7. Summer of Service is underway. Kind of. I have a couple of interested attendees, and lots of people asking questions. I know that it is a God thing, no matter what it ends up looking like. I feel a little more prepared than I did last year, but I am also a little more aware of what it takes, and what it takes out of you. I am learning that being 'poured out' is Christlike. Not personal space, not personal time, not my own agenda. I want to be Christlike, but I am hoping that God will 'draw me with gentle cords'.
8. I was planning a trip to Guerrero Negro, for my friend Jen's b-day, which is close to mine (the 26th of February, in case you were wondering...), but it soon became clear that it was not going to work out. So Jen is going on a bus with another friend, and they are going to spend next weekend in Guerrero Negro, whale watching and sunbathing on the beach. Good for them. I am still hoping to go south sometime soon. I might go in the spring to Loreto with some of the missionaries for a mission trip. Then again, I might go visit my parents. Who really knows, at this juncture.

*big sigh*. I am done. Bless you readers. Bless you.

1 comment:

Jen said...

you mentioned me like ten times. I'm so blessed. You should come over here all the time. ALL the time. You would be most welcome. oh, and I don't think we'll lie on the beach. It seems like it's used for fishing and getting salt out of the ocean (industrial purposes) maybe we'll lie in the town? who knows. (I read you can only go to the beach with special permission and for whale watching, and it's a goodly drive from the town. goodly, that was for you, and parapet. that's for you. let's play scrabble.